….or about anything else for that matter. And you know what? That’s totally ok.
I’ve been on vacation since July 7. Normally, I would use the time away from my full-time job to work on the blog, which means I’m technically still working (just doing something I will admit that I enjoy more). Heck, this blog was born during my summer vacation nearly two years ago, when I spent the month of August at home with my little guy! And that summer, I worked my butt off!! But not this year. This year, I decided to take a real break.
I haven’t blogged since July 13 – and that post only went up because I had written it and photographed it before my vacation. What’s more, I actually travelled this summer, but I made a conscious decision not to blog about about it. First of all, I’m not a travel blogger, which means I’m probably not going to be the best resource for travel info (though I may share some travel style tips in a later post). But second of all, I wanted to spend every moment of my vacation enjoying what I was doing instead of thinking about how I could incorporate things into posts. I have huge respect for people who can balance both, but I am not one of those people.
And you know what? I achieved so very much by taking a break.
Here’s what I gained:
- I actually feel more inspired now than I did before my vacation. Which means I have so many more ideas for blog posts and things I want to share with my readers in the coming months.
- I spent some really concentrated and amazing time with family and made memories I will treasure forever.
- I SAW things with my eyes instead of with my camera or iPhone. For real….I didn’t take nearly as many photos as I probably should have.
- I feel rested, despite doing so much walking that I finally got my butt back in shape!
And here’s what I missed:
- Creating a dozen posts about the Nordstrom Anniversary Sale that every other blogger has already shared.
- Stressing about getting the RIGHT pictures all the time.
- A slight drop in my readership. (Which I am SOOOOO very grateful for! Thank you so much to everyone for following along despite my absence!)
- Some very Instagrammable moments, but I’m ok with missing them. I have memories instead of pictures.
- Nothing that couldn’t wait until AFTER my vacation.
The lesson is that sometimes, we bloggers need to take a little break and enjoy life! While I adore sharing my thoughts and ideas on fashion and style with you, my readers, sometimes it’s ok to take some time off to regroup, relax, and sip wine on a beach without taking a photo! It won’t be the end of the world and you will still be relevant when you come back.
And yes, I did still post a bit on Instagram (including about the Nordstrom Anniversary Sale) but I have to say, I did not miss the obsessing about all things algorithm and engagement over there. But that’s a whole different blog post!
I have one more week of vacation left, so I’m still not going to be posting much on here for at least another week or so, but I am so excited to share more with all of you in August!
Enjoy the pretty things in life,