As much as I have tried to deny it, it looks like the hottest days of summer are winding down, at least in Alberta. That means we’re heading into that tricky transition period between summer and fall, when the mornings can start off cool (or freezing cold, like today!) and by midday, the sun has heated things up to the point where you either completely regret what you put on at seven am or you start peeling off the layers to cool down a bit.
I also admit that this week, I was lacking in some motivation and inspiration for the transition period. I really am not prepared for summer to be over for two main reasons: I am not ready to go back to work after a month of annual leave (I know, I can’t complain) and I cannot stomach the thought of six (or more) months of winter ahead of me. But it’s coming, and so I figured we could all use a little bit of inspiration for the coming weeks. To that end, I put together an Instagram roundup of some of the most popular outfits I wore this week, complete with a breakdown of the pieces, suggestions for items that are no longer available, and where to find them.
For my neutral look, pictured above, here are some of the pieces that I incorporated:
1. Forever 21 Classic V-Neck Cardigan – I am addicted to cardigans, especially soft, cozy boyfriend cardigans. I work in an overly air-conditioned office, so they are kind of a necessity. This one is perfect because it’s not too heavy. It also comes in about 25 colours and is $10. Literally, it’s the bomb.
2. Zara Asymmetrical T-Shirt – Another perfect cheap-y, at under ten dollars and in lots of colours. Can’t go wrong with that.
3. American Eagle Sateen X Jegging – These soft jeggings are a dressier alternative to leggings, which I am personally not a huge fan of. They do fit a bit small, so I usually recommend going up a size. And this year, they come in some fantastic colours.
4. Burberry Medium Ashby – This was my Christmas present to me last year. It’s one of my babies now.
5. J. Crew Laine Suede Booties – Unfortunately, my Kenneth Cole Reaction booties are no longer available, but the J. Crew Laine suede booties are a beautiful option that I likely would have picked first, had I not stumbled upon the Kenneth Cole ones at Gravity Pope last spring.
6. Michael Kors Watch – Mine is no longer available, but this rose gold option is so elegant, I just might have to pick it up as well.
7. Forever 21 Statement Necklace – I wear this necklace all. the. time. If you follow me on Instagram, you already know this. Love it.
For my olive and denim look, I paired my favourite booties and soft cardigan with these items:
8. Current/Elliott Stiletto Jeans – Current/Elliott jeans fit like an absolutely dream and are so soft, I swear I could sleep in them. And if you’re lucky, you can find them at Winners or Marshalls for half the price!
9. Forever 21 Olive Sleeveless Top – My H&M shirt is no longer available, but this Forever 21 version is a great substitute. I love the flowing details of the top.
10. Tory Burch Britten Mini Crossbody – This is an updated version of my Tory Burch crossbody from last season. I love this versatile small bag that can be worn with the chain strap or used as a clutch.
And finally, for my “I threw this together because I was bitter about the cold, but the people of Instagram apparently approved” outfit, here are some of the key pieces that I incorporated, along with my favourite Zara t-shirt and Forever 21 cardigan, linked above:
11. Marc by Marc Jacobs Hillier Hobo – This is easily the most well-known Marc by Marc Jacobs bag, and for good reason. It is classic, useful and made from the most buttery-soft leather I have ever felt. The olive colour is no longer available, but this bag is one that you will use for years in just about any colour.
12. Sam Edelman Penny Riding Boots – If you have athletic calves, these boots are literally the living end. They come in three colours, including black (which I also own), they fit amazingly over skinny jeans and tights and they are fantastic quality for the price. I have never been so happy with a pair of riding boots, ever.
13. Gap Distressed White Skinny Jeans – Two of my favourite things – white denim and distressed rips. Perfect.
As a quick disclaimer, none of the product photos above are mine, but were taken from the website links I’ve attached.
So, while it may be snowing in parts of Alberta right now (for real) and despite my initial hesitation to embrace seasonal transition time, these tried and true pieces that I can mix and match provided enough inspiration and easy to wear style to make me a bit less bitter about the end of summer. After all, it’s almost pumpkin spice latte season!
Oh wait. I hate pumpkin spice lattes.
Maybe I’ll just go have some apple cider with a lot of whipped cream and caramel sauce and wait for the leaves to change. 😉
Enjoy the pretty things in life,